Naked Raku, it’s not Porcelain but still…


The finale to my summer project, crackle glazed hollow donuts for my yard. All I need to do now is find the right tree that goes with this structure to plant along side my driveway.

What did I learn about this project? It was hard, tough, hot, fast, dangerous and exciting all rolled into one moment of reduction.

At the last minute I decided to use a white crackle glaze instead of the naked raku technique. The reason for the sudden change in this project is it is meant for outdoors. Being outdoors, I would need a glaze that can withstand the elements. If the naked raku technique is outdoors it has a greater opportunity of experiencing oxidation and losing its appeal decoratively, compared to being indoors.

The naked raku is still a desire to learn and understand so I have a project slated for the spring. Someone asked me if I would do this project again. I said I would, but the work will of course be smaller and less heavy as it does not need to withstand the winter and I am sure the naked raku will live up to its raw name and beauty.

I put together a small photo slideshow of the process for you, and thanks to everyone at Studio Link for your teachings and friendship!





Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.

2 comments:

  1. Great slideshow. thanks for sharing. The raku donuts look great. I think the white crackle glaze has really worked well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic experience, and a little surreal to see and ancient technique in such a modern World. Thanks for the slideshow!!

    ReplyDelete